Oyster day is everyday….well, except red ride days.
Interesting Food Facts about Oysters
- An oyster has a lifespan of over 100 years.
- The oyster has no head, no biting mouth parts and no arms or legs.
- An oysters two or three inches in diameter would probably be three to five years old.
- It takes about 25 to 28 months for oyster larvae to reach market size.
- Oysters feed year-round, though they feed less in winter because they need less energy.
All shelled fish should be alive when you eat them raw. If they’re dead (closed), toss them back.
There are over 5,000 different species of oyster world wide.
The flavor and color of oysters is influenced by the sand or sediment and the waters that they live in.
Today’s Food History
- 1814 John Lineback patented the cottonseed hulling machine.
- 1848 William Waldorf Astor was born. William Waldorf Astor was a cousin of John Jacob Astor IV…
View original post 135 more words