Coffee Cake Day?! Yes, please. I like mine with a thick, cinnamony crumb and buttery cake bottom. How about you? The wonderful brains behind the blogsite, “Foodimentary” hit on one of my favorite foods.
Interesting Food Facts about Coffee Cake
- Coffee cake was not invented, rather it evolved from a variety of different types of cakes.
- Cakes in their various forms have been around since biblical times, the simplest varieties made from honey or dates and other fruits.
- The Danish came up with the earliest versions of coffee cake. Around the 17th century in Europe, it became the custom to enjoy a delicious sweet and yeasty type of bread when drinking coffee beverages.
- There are many available combinations, everything from blueberry coffee cakes to cinnamon walnut coffee cake and more.
- The hole in the center of most coffee cakes is a relatively recent innovation—it became popular in the 1950’s. This “bundt pan” was invented to allowed heavier batters to get cooked all the way through without any dough left unbaked in the center.
The first coffee cakes are thought to have originated…
View original post 217 more words